Show Me Questions
Q1 — Show me how you would check that the direction indicators are working.
- Apply the hazard light switch and walk around the vehicle to check that all indicators are flashing. (may need to switch ignition on, prompt not to start engine)
Q2 — Show me how you would check that the brake lights are working on this car. (I can assist you, if you need to switch the ignition on, please don’t start the engine)
- The easiest way to check this is to apply the brake pedal and get someone else to check behind the car, alternatively you can take advantage of reflective surfaces, i.e windows. (you may need to switch ignition on, but do not start engine)
Q3 — Show me / explain how you would check that the power assisted steering is working before starting a journey.
- If the steering becomes heavy the system may not be working properly. Before starting a journey two simple checks can be made. Either turn on the engine and apply gentle pressure on the steering wheel to check that the steering is light and not heavy. Or turning the steering wheel just after moving off will indicate whether the power assistance is functioning.
Q4 — Show me how you would check the parking brake (handbrake) for excessive wear, make sure you keep safe control of the vehicle.
- Apply footbrake firmly. Demonstrate by releasing the parking brake (handbrake) and reapplying so that as you bring the handbrake back up it secures itself, and is not at the end of the working travel.
Q5 — Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine oil level and tell me how you would check that the engine has sufficient oil.
- Identify dipstick / oil level indicator, remove the dipstick and wipe the end with a clean cloth then simply put the dipstick back in and as you then remove it you should be able to check the oil level against the minimum and maximum markers. (For the purposes of the demonstration you would not be required to wipe the dipstick just explain usage)
Q6 — Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine coolant level and tell me how you would check that the engine has the correct level.
- Identify the engine coolant and check fluid level against high/low markings.
Q7 — Open the bonnet, identify where the brake fluid reservoir is and tell me how you would check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid.
- Identify reservoir, check level against high/low markings.
Q9 — Show me how you would check that the horn is working (off road only).
- Check is carried out by using control usually on steering wheel. (turn on ignition if necessary).
Q10 — Show me how you would clean the windscreen using the windscreen washer and wipers
- Operate control to wash and wipe windscreen (turn ignition on if necessary.
Q11 — Show me how you would set the demister controls to clear all the windows effectively, this should include both front and rear screens.
- Set all relevant controls including; fan, temperature, air direction / source and heated screen to clear windscreen and windows. Engine does not have to be started for this demonstration.
Q12 — Show me how you would switch on the rear fog light(s) and explain when you would use it/them. (No need to exit vehicle)
- Operate switch (turn on dipped headlights and ignition if necessary). Apply the fog lights and check warning light is on. Explain use.
Q13 — Show me how you switch your headlight from dipped to main beam and explain how you would know the main beam is on whilst inside the car.
- Operate switch turn on dipped headlights which is usually indicated by a green light on the dashboard and apply the full beam, and check with main beam warning light (blue) is displayed on the dashboard.
Tell Me Questions
Q14 — Tell Me Tell me how you would check that the brakes are working before starting a journey.
- Test your brakes as you set off, brakes shouldn’t feel spongy or slack and should not pull to one side.
Q15 — Tell Me where the windscreen washer reservoir is and tell me how you would check the windscreen washer level.
- The windscreen washer reservoir is under the bonnet of the car, make a visual check of the fluid level and if you are unable to see the level, test the windscreen washers inside the car and top up if necessary.
Q16 — Tell Me where you would find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked.
- Check the manufacturer’s guide for tyre pressure information, use a reliable pressure gauge to check and adjust pressures when the tyres are cold. Don’t forget spare tyre and remember to refit valve caps.
Q17 — Tell Me how you make sure your head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of a crash.
- The head restraint should be adjusted so the rigid part (thickest part) of the head restraint is at least as high as the eye or top of the ears, and as close to the back of the head as is comfortable. N.B. Some restraints might not be adjustable.
Q18 — Tell Me how you would check the tyres to ensure that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road.
- There should be no cuts or bulges in the tyre and should have a minimum of 1.6mm of tread depth across the central 3/4 (three quarters) of the breadth of the tyre and around the entire outer circumference.
Q19 — Tell me how you would check that the headlights & tail lights are working. (No need to exit vehicle)
- Operate switch (turn on ignition if necessary), then walk round vehicle. (As this is a “Tell Me” question, there is no need to physically check the lights.)
Q20 — Tell me how you would know if there was a problem with your anti lock braking system.
- A warning light should illuminate if there is a fault with the anti lock braking system.